H.E.M.B.L Heritage & Culture Classes
Time & Location
About the Event
The Heritage & Culture classes are aimed at Secondary school pupils and their parents.
We encourage young people and their parents to learn together.
Four (4) of the classes will concentrate on Great Black Personalities over the last 4 centuries.
Four (4) of the classes will concentrate on Modern Black British History.
The aim is to teach history and the intellectual skills that go with it; comprehension, source analysis, understanding significance, understanding the differences between causes and consequences, and empathy etc.
The Student will be required to engage with the material and produce written accounts of all kinds including diary entry, journalistic reports, essay, debate, etc.
What distinguishes the course is not only the powerful and inspirational content but also the use of the intellectual skills that are transferable to all academic subjects
The course content is:
· Malik Ambar: General, Prime Minister and Architect
· Abraham Petrovich Hannibal: Mathematician and Soldier
· Mary Edmonia Lewis: Sculptor
· Samuel Coleridge Taylor: Composer
· What jobs did Black migrants do following the Windrush Era?
· Black Britons Entering the Mainstream – Intellectuals
– Art and Textiles
Malik Ambar: General, Prime Minister and Architect
Abraham Petrovich Hannibal: Mathematician and Soldier